Sunday, January 31, 2010

New Word! Chapter 1

I have read the introduction and the first chapter of My Word!. It reinforces the view I have on plagiarism about how its taking the credit of another person's work. I find it surprising at how vague plagiarism has become. Plagiarism is a serious crime for students, but it is so vague that almost everyone has committed plagiarism at least once.

The first chapter had answered my question on how plagiarism is viewed worldwide. I found it interested that plagiarism existed all across the world, and even as far back in China's history. I did not know that patchwriting may be considered plagiarism, since I find it commonplace. It's quite difficult that an important concept such as plagiarism has so many meanings, that it is easily for people to inadvertently plagerise someone's work.

3 comments:

  1. I also was not aware of how broad plagiarism was and how a simple mistake can turn your work into plagiarism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought that plagiarism was a new hysteria like antibacterial stations. It was interesting to learn that even the old guys tried to steal words from eachother. And I agree that writing an essay without touching the fuzzy realms of plagiarism is almost impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're going to read more about patchwriting; I think you'll find it interesting. Some people argue that that particular kind of plagiarism is almost an inevitable stage in a writer's development -- part of the process of learning how, and when, and why to give credit to others.

    ReplyDelete